Every city which has its origin in the distant past has legends connected with its foundation. Kenigsberg appeared without any legends as a result of a crusade. The city was founded in 1255 “in honour of Christ, and for Hotels in Kaliningrad protection of newly-converted Christians”.
Little has remained since that old time; during the centuries medieval towns were reconstructed many times. Kenigsberg experienced the large upsurge in the 17-20th centuries. Present-day Kaliningrad combines the features of a contemporary Russian and European city in a marvelous way. The German and the Russian histories intertwined here and gave a new form to the city. The huge Kenigsberg Cathedral, built in 1333, is considered to be a symbol of the city. Now the bells of the cathedral play the starting melody of the Fifth Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven every hour. Near the cathedral the tomb of Immanuel Kant, who is regarded to be one of the three most important philosophers - together with Plato and Aristotle, is situated. The parish of St. Judith which is called St. Nicholas’s now, the oldest church on the Zamlandsky Peninsula, is also worth to visit. Among the most popular sights there is the largest museum of amber located in the “Der-Don” Tower.